Friday, June 12, 2009

Tomato Timeline: Days 1 - 16

On May 27th I planted my tomato seedling in a Topsy-Turvy upside-down planter bag. The following is a photo time line.

Day 2: (Because I didn't have the good sense to photograph the planting process on Day 1...) Planting was awkward into the hanging container, but I managed, even as clueless as I am. Used an S-hook to hang from a bolt hole in one of the rafters of our carport. This spot gets great sun from about 7am until 3pm so I think it will like it here.


Day 5: You can see some growth, especially in the stem.


Day 8: Growth is obvious. I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point.


Day 10: Looking good!


Day 14:
Uh-oh... some not so good signs. Leaf curl and white spotting. My hopes are dimming slightly.


Day 16: And now an uninvited guest. I'm still researching trying to verify that this is in fact a pest (aphid??) and not just a flashy, innocuous passerby, but from the looks of the damage to the stem and leaves where he's sitting, I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Leaf curling and now one brown and shriveling. I think I've been over-watering.




3 comments:

  1. So good of you to stop by and leave a nice comment on my blog. Looks like you have a nice tomato plant. You might try some dish detergent mixed with some water and spray the plant. It may work and be better than poisons. Let me know if this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. treat that baby with an insecticide now! Quick before they kill it. There are several on the market that are approved for vegetables. You can try sevin dust or pyrethrin which is made from a plant
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog! Im always happy to find other gardeners. Black thumb or otherwise. LOL

    I would def try to the dish detergent and water before I use insecticides. You can even use lemon scented detergent. I have read that bugs don't like lemon. So maybe that could work as a preventative measure as well as killing the ones that are there already.

    ReplyDelete