Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The curse of my black thumb...

Even optimism may not be enough to save my tomato plant from certain death. {Okay, so I'm dramatizing a little, but it probably isn't far from the truth.}

I planted a Topsy-Turvy Tomato two weeks ago. I conceived the idea for this blog, at least as it appears, during this process, but unfortunately too late to archive the planting in pictures as I've done with subsequent plants. I have, though, been taking pictures every few days to show progress, and I'll share those (as well as my latest plantings) in another post.

As if I haven't already provided sufficient disclaimers about my minimal knowledge and experience as a gardener, I'll remind you again - I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm totally winging it.

I noticed today as I was out watering that my tomato plant is starting to look sickly. This inspired me to do two things. First, I began trying to research on the web about sick tomato plants. Second, I am now thinking about a way to incorporate a plant-diagnosis element to my blog. I envision being able to post a picture of my sick plants and having readers offer their diagnoses and opinions about what I should do to heal or save the poor plant who had the misfortune of being adopted by me and my black thumb. Likewise, I'd invite you to post your sick-plant pics. Imagine a little plant infirmary.

Well, for now, I don't have that kind of thing up and running officially, but I'll throw my sick mater plant pics out there and if anyone's lurking, I welcome {read:beg} your advice. From my initial research, I'm thinking it's over-watering, or viral/fungal, or a combination of the two. And, please try to refrain from calling Plant Welfare Services to report me. It's my first (documented) offense.

~ The Kinder-Gardener

No comments:

Post a Comment