Monday, June 15, 2009

My roses need help!

Is there anything I can do to help this rose bush (and can you tell what kind it is?)? It was here - and in much the same condition - when we moved into our home three years ago. I've certainly done nothing to help it - I've not had any interest until now. Pruning? Fertilizer? I know it's looking sickly, but it does actually put out roses all spring and summer - sparingly. I think it just needs some TLC - tell me how to do it!!


And yes, I know, it sure is 'neked' under that bush... a flower bed will be a project for next year. For now I'm sticking to containers and improving the quality of life for the plants I've already got.

5 comments:

  1. try Miracle Gro....I have also heard that tomato fertilizer is a good thing for a sad rose....try looking at my sidebar..there is a blog there called the house in the roses...if anyone knows roses...it's them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinder Gardener,
    I have always been told that in our region that it is best to prune rose back around Valentine's Day. I have read to cut rose bushes two-thirds of their height back, which always freaks me out as I chopping away. (I usually do a little less than two-thirds)When they are not pruned back, rose bushes get leggy because they grow up instead of out and up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinder Gardener,
    Please ignore my grammatical errors! It is early and I am not a morning person...I should have proofread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! I will get some fertilizer on that baby this evening when I'm watering.

    @ a la parisienne - So, then are you recommending I don't prune now? Is it just too late?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way too late! It's best not to transplant or prune a rosebush in the heat of summer. It may go into shock. Even though your rosebush is in part shade, I still wouldn't risk it. I would wait and prune it early next spring. Even if you pruned it now, and it survived, it probably wouldn't have a considerable amount of new growth.

    ReplyDelete